Sunday, January 24, 2010

Bu-Bye January!

Well, welcome to the last week of January! You know what that means, only 4 more months of winter for us Chicagoans. Actually, knock on wood quick, because I went running outside today. So the weather is looking better and better.

Although January is slightly depressing at the start of the month with the end of the holiday season and the reality the next paid holiday for most of us isn't till Memorial Day, I usually do a lot of reflection and look forward to the new year. I'm really excited about this year because there are a lots of fun things on my radar including weddings, vacations and summer in general.

I've been sticking to my guns (and working on them) with the workout regime I instilled in myself for 2010. Slowly but surely, I can see the results and winter weight shed, so keep on truckin' peeps. Hey at least with 4 months of winter left, we still have 4 months to look killer in our swimsuits!

Here's your songs for the week. I couldn't really think of a theme this week, but get excited for the American Idol week coming up when the finalists are announced.

Monday - "Who Wants to be Alone?" - Tiesto feat. Nelly Furtado - Well no one except maybe those crazy cat ladies....haha, no seriously though this is definitely a hot track! Can't go wrong with a little Nelly and many artists like JT and Timbaland think so too, her voice is recognizable in any song. I loved her from her folky debut song "I'm like a Bird." This one I have stuck on repeat this week!



Tuesday - "Mama Do" - Pixie Lott - The newest Amy Winehouse/Duffy/Adele import from the UK. Look for her to explode in the states this year when her debut "Turn it Up" album is released stateside. She was just nominated for 3 Brit awards including best breakthrough artist. She also has a cover of Kings of Leon's "Use Somebody" that is a hit on youtube. Uh-oh, uh-oh with Britney's looks and Amy's voice, your gonna want a lott more of Pixie!





Wednesday - "Heartbreak on Vinyl" - Blake Lewis - The name may sound familiar if you watch American Idol. Blake was runner-up to Jordin Sparks a few year backs. Although I was happy Jordin won, I did always like his own unique beat-boxin' take on many songs. This song is off his second album with the same name that was released in Oct. of 2009. I-tunes also just released a remix maxi-single of this song if you like what you hear. Not sure if this is the official video, but it's great if you are a fan of Empire Records and other old 'record store' movies!





Thursday - "Stranded (Haiti Mon Amour)" - Jay-Z, Bono, The Edge & Rihanna - If you were like me and missed the telethon, don't fear the album "Hope for Haiti" is on I-tunes and 100% of the proceeds benefit Haiti. At only $7.99 for 20 songs, it's a great deal for a great cause. This is my favorite song but their are many other great classics from Madonna, Beyonce, Shakira, JT, Sting, Mary J and many more. Check it out!



Friday - "Blame it on the Girls - Mika - Another UK import, this is off his second album released last year. I first heard this song as a remix and liked it enough to hunt down the original. If you looked up the definition of fun pop music, this song would be next to it.



Saturday - "Arrow" - Tegan and Sara - Indie rock goddesses who happen also to be identical twins, Canadian and lesbians, but who cares?! Their music and amazing live performances is why I like them. Their recent "Sainthood" album steps on the pop bandwagon but not losing their original voice. This is the song that stood out when I listened to it. The chronic pulsating vibe is great for a run!



Sunday - "Whatever you like" - Anya Marina - If you watch Gossip Girl, you likely will recognize this song. You may also remember the original version by T.I. Since he is jail, I guess he doesn't mind her using his song; he may need some cash when he gets out. All kidding aside, great proof there can be very good versions of the original hit. Check out the funny video with cameos from that annoying brother on Weeds and that project runway finalist from a few years back.





Have a great week and see you in February!

2 comments:

  1. Tony! Thank you, thank you for posting this new Nelly Furtado song. I have a new jam!!!

    And i also like the Blake Lewis song a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh good, yah im obsessed! that's seems to be a fav this week:)

    ReplyDelete